Khao Pad Gaprao (Thai Basil Fried Rice)
About the Dish:
Khao Pad Gaprao, also known as Thai Basil Fried Rice, is a popular Thai street food dish. It is a flavorful and aromatic rice dish stir-fried with Thai holy basil, vegetables, and a choice of protein such as chicken, beef, or shrimp. The dish is typically seasoned with soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and chili for a spicy kick. It is commonly served with a fried egg on top and a side of fresh cucumber slices.
|2 cups cooked jasmine rice|
|2 tablespoons oil|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 small onion, diced|
|1 bell pepper, diced|
|1 cup diced vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, etc.)|
|1 cup protein (chicken, beef, shrimp)|
|3 tablespoons soy sauce|
|2 tablespoons oyster sauce|
|1 tablespoon fish sauce|
|1 tablespoon chili sauce|
|1 cup Thai holy basil leaves|
|2 fried eggs (optional, for serving)|
|Fresh cucumber slices (for serving)|
- Step 1: Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and diced onion, and cook until fragrant.
- Step 2: Add the diced bell pepper, diced vegetables, and protein of your choice. Stir-fry until the vegetables are tender and the protein is cooked through.
- Step 3: Push the cooked vegetables and protein to one side of the wok or skillet. Add the cooked jasmine rice to the other side and break it up with a spatula to prevent clumping.
- Step 4: Combine the vegetables, protein, and rice together in the wok or skillet. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and chili sauce. Stir-fry until everything is well combined and heated through.
- Step 5: Remove the wok or skillet from the heat and stir in the Thai holy basil leaves. The residual heat will wilt the basil leaves.
- Step 6: Serve the Khao Pad Gaprao hot with a fried egg on top and fresh cucumber slices on the side.