Bacalhau à Brás
About the Dish:
Bacalhau à Brás is a popular Portuguese dish made with salted codfish (bacalhau), eggs, onions, and potatoes. It is a flavorful and comforting dish that is often enjoyed as a main course. The codfish is first soaked to remove the excess salt, then shredded and sautéed with onions and garlic. The mixture is then tossed with fried potatoes and beaten eggs, creating a delicious and satisfying dish. Bacalhau à Brás is typically served with a side of olives and fresh parsley. It is a must-try dish for any seafood lover or anyone looking to experience the rich flavors of Portuguese cuisine.
|Salted codfish (bacalhau)||300g|
|Olive oil||3 tablespoons|
|Black pepper||To taste|
|Fresh parsley||For garnish|
- Step 1: Start by soaking the salted codfish in water for 24 hours, changing the water every 6-8 hours. This will help remove excess salt from the fish.
- Step 2: Once the codfish has been soaked, drain the water and pat the fish dry with paper towels. Shred the codfish into small pieces, removing any bones or skin.
- Step 3: Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry the potato slices until golden brown and crispy. Remove the potatoes from the skillet and set aside.
- Step 4: In the same skillet, add the sliced onion and minced garlic and sauté until they turn golden brown and fragrant.
- Step 5: Add the shredded codfish to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until it is heated through.
- Step 6: In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and season with salt and black pepper. Pour the beaten eggs into the skillet with the codfish and mix well.
- Step 7: Return the fried potatoes to the skillet and gently stir until all the ingredients are well combined and the eggs are cooked through.
- Step 8: Remove the skillet from heat and transfer the Bacalhau à Brás to a serving dish.
- Step 9: Garnish with fresh parsley and serve hot. Enjoy this delicious Portuguese dish!